Friday, June 15, 2012

sunlight and perennials

The other morning, I was out walking in our yard and noticed the way the light glowed in the flower beds.  I ran into the house to grab my camera.  I do this a lot.


I should read my camera manual.  The morning light was gorgeous but this photo just does not capture the way the light moved through this corner of our yard. 


A peony bloom is exquisite.  But look at the buds!  I love the way peony buds look in a vase. 


Hosta.  Enough said.


What a pretty combination of plants.  I think you can add potato vine and coleus to anything and it would be beautiful!   I only have 2 pots of annuals this year.  They add a splash of color and are so fresh looking.


My new passion is containers filled with perennials and shrubs.  The big pot is filled with an Astilbe that I dig out of the ground in the Spring and then I replant it in the Fall.  This is the 4th year that I have dug this same plant up and stuck it in a container. It think it likes this arrangement!

When I describe this system to others, it really can be summed up very simply..."you pull it out of the ground in the Spring and plop it in a pot.  In the Fall, you pull it out of the pot and plop it in the ground."  I'm finding that I use the words "pull" and "plop" a lot.  My gardening style is revealed, I think, with those simple words.  They reflect my simple gardening style and technique.  Nothing fussy survives in our yard.  I do have a hydrangea that will not grow unless I baby it and water it a lot.  It's a beauty and I have wanted for this plant for years.  Now that I can grow one, I have found out that while it is a beauty, it is no longer my favorite.  Something that fussy is tiresome.  Give me a hearty, scrappy shrub or perennial anyday!

I splurged on 3 new shrubs this Spring which will go into the ground in the Fall.  This is my grand plan...instead of spending money on annuals, I will buy shrubs each Spring which will then find new homes each Fall in our yard.  They are enjoyed all summer on our patio and then eventually become part of our landscape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment