Wednesday, June 20, 2012

mediocrity

Danielle LaPorte featured an interview with Adam Baker, creator of the documentary, "I'm fine, thanks.".   It focuses on mediocrity and living your dream.  Follow this link for his short interview.

This is the trailer.



Dreams.  Passion.  It is interesting to think about.  I'm sitting in my quiet home.  The morning light is dim.  It's quietly raining.  I have 2 sleeping boys upstairs.  I am living my dream.  Raising my children, creating a home, a home in the country, a job I find fulfilling... this is my dream. 

I wish I had been more aware.

But I am not done dreaming.  I can feel the pull inside me to create.  So, I will listen more closely and move where I am pulled.

What I want for my children is not to be 40-something and realize that they have their dream.  Or that they don't.  I want them to be aware, consciously pursue, ask questions, pray... l i s t e n. 

In the past, and the residue remains, I have associated 'living your dream' or 'seeking your passion' with being irresponsible or selfish (for some reason).  I was not raised that way but I became that way.  Self-talk was often negative and others "must know better".  I did not always trust my own voice and I watched for the reaction of other people. 

It is a relief to feel the residue gradually fall away.  It's a relief to feel outside pressures lose their hold and shake off a self-consiousness that can be paralzying.

I am aware of what I want. 

I want to live and move in my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment