Monday, July 2, 2012

home improvement week #2


A little over a week ago, I posted about the projects that I wanted to do this summer. I have finished my first week and have made progress. I did not feel fully prepared to take on the projects that were spinning wildly in my head but I jumped in anyway. I fired off a text to a friend before I got started, confessing that I was about ready to cry. The idea that I would not achieve what I was hoping to achieve was enough to drive me to tears. And the idea of actually acomplishing everything on the list was enough to drive me to tears!

This was my work station for the week.  The dining room table housed my glue gun, velcro, 3m adhesive, hooks, spray paint, sandpaper, tape, etc. etc.

Now it's week 2. My focus for part of today needs to be on laundry and basic cleaning.  These things  suffered last week! I do get plenty of help from my boys, but between jobs, drivers training, Monday night league, lawn mowing, and girlfriends, hours available to contribute to housework become very limited! That's ok. As long as we can keep our heads above water, I'm ok to let the day to day tasks consist primarily of washing clothes, washing dishes, preparing decent food, and putting stuff away. Clean bathrooms, vacuuming, and dusting can wait. 

A few of the things accomplished last week:
-- painted 2 tables and a stool white. Hmmm....not sure if I like it. May have to redo
-- went through chest of old magazines--sorted and threw many away
--used 5 white gallon paint bucket for fern stand and storage bins in mudroom (I'm in love with white 5 gallon paint buckets for $2.97)
--reorganized craft and project supplies into new totes
--hung holder for pots and pans on fridge next to stove. hmmm...kinda cute kinda not.
--moved infrequently used utensils to ???? don't know yet...made room for frequently used utensils
--moved snacks/cookies/candy to tote in pantry and put storage containers in that drawer
--moved jello (and threw jello), chocolate chips, mixes to container in pantry and put bread in that drawer (Love this!)
--reorganized storage area in laundry room
--created storage for jewelry

...from hanging on doorknobs

...to hanging from wire and magnets. An old cupcake tin holds hanging earrings. I really don't own that much jewelry but it was always laying around! A cookie sheet and magnet hooks hold necklaces and bracelets (not pictured yet).

I know it's not the most sophisticated system in the world but it cost nothing, jewelery is off doorknobs and bathroom shelving, and it's kinda cute.  I velcroed them to the wall in our bedroom.

--started to clean pantry--- OMGSH! --- this will be an ongoing project for weeks I'm afraid
--started organizing mudroom closets
--started cleaning mudroom bench


This is the pile of sweatshirts that came off the mudroom bench and from the closet! 


Looking at my list, I realize I'm really kind of all over the place. I originally thought that I would start in one room, finish it, and then move to another. That would be very satisfying:) but not possible. When I take something out of one room, I need to clear a spot in another room for it. And then that stuff needs to go someplace else...and on and on. And so I will let the tasks guide me. 
Week 2... goals are mainly to finish up a lot of the things that I've started. And then I'd like to move upstairs.

But it's a holiday week and I think I will spend more time relaxing this week. Steve and Ben work all week but Sam is off on the 4th. Isaac doesn't have driver's training Wed. through Fri. Yes. More relaxing and playing.

A little work and a lot of relaxing and playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment