Saturday, March 2, 2013

introverts

Introverts, in contrast, may have strong social skills and enjoy parties and business meetings, but after a while wish they were home in their pajamas. They prefer to devote their social energies to close friends, colleagues, and family. They listen more than they talk, think before they speak, and often feel as if they express themselves better in writing than in conversation. They tend to dislike conflict. Many have a horror of small talk, but enjoy deep discussions.
Susan Cain

Introverts paradoxically pull away from culture and create culture.
Laurie Helgoe







Bill Gates: My 13 favorite talks

"When Bill Gates was asked to curate a list of his favorite talks (TED), his first response was, “There are too many to pick, really.” He whittled it down to 13 essentials."   #12 was Susan Cain's presentation:

Susan Cain: The power of introverts

"In a culture where being social and outgoing are prized above all else, it can be difficult, even shameful, to be an introvert. But, as Susan Cain argues in this passionate talk, introverts bring extraordinary talents and abilities to the world, and should be encouraged and celebrated."


 

. . . I just realized that the quote at the top of this post is from Susan Cain.  I didn't notice that as I was creating this post until just now!  Funny.  It is also interesting to note that I am totally alone in my home this morning and I have been thinking (and watching "Pioneer Woman" on Food Network).  I think a lot when I'm alone and come up with some great ideas.  I've been mostly thinking about work and why this year has been especially difficult.  Stressful... distressing... frustrating.  And I think I have identified something.  

Because of varying circumstances, my ability to be creative, press on confidently,  and engage in meaningful interactions at work has decreased this year.  As a result, trust and satisfaction have deteriorated.  I'm not sure how my thoughts surrounding introverts and my own personality helped me come to this conclusion, but it did.  I think a renewed understanding of my nature and temperament provided insight into my situation and challenges at work.  I need to make a change.  I think I can do that now that I know what may be at the root of my discouragement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment