Wednesday, February 29, 2012

digital media

I recently read a blog created by high school students, Generational Divide.  The post shared their thoughts regarding digital media.  It was impressive and I was once again amazed at the ideas that young people debate and share (thank you, Mr. Reynolds).




I hesitate to even join in the conversation regarding digital media as my experiences and knowledge are very limited.  Bumbling my way through the digital media world is an example of my heart being WAY ahead of my head.  I have the desire and motivation but my head struggles to keep up.  So, I will probably use incorrect terms and struggle to explain my experiences!  I even had to google the definition, digital media, to make sure I was using it appropriately (digital media is digitized content [text, graphics, audio, and video] that can be transmitted over internet or computer networks.).  My boys help me out as long as their patience lasts.   A few minutes later, I am on my own. :)

The discussion surrounding digital media is fascinating to me.  I have heard viewpoints from both extremes.  I've probably heard more negative comments about the effects of digital media on our kids than positive.  Most of the comments address the speculated lack of social skills and problem solving skills our kids will presumably develop.  Skeptics blame increased use of cell phones, ipods, laptops, gaming systems, etc, for deficits our youth are sure to acquire.

So, online gaming would fall into the category of digital media, right?  The discussion/debate surrounding digital media began in our household with the entrance of the very first gaming system...Nintendo 64.  I resisted this machine for a long time.  Ben was maybe 8?? when we came across one at a rummage sale.  He had been asking for one for a long time and I objected.  And there it was.  Great price at the right time.  It came home with us and our lives were forever changed!  The boys loved their Nintendo.  Upgrades went on for the next several years and now we have Xbox's and Playstations--online gaming.

My 3 boys love their systems. As their mother, I have worked hard to make sure their time on their 'systems' was balanced with other activity.  When they were little, there was usually balance unless I wanted to finish a project or just needed some time without distraction...then they got to 'game it up'!  I felt guilty, at times, when I talked with other mothers whose kids "never played video games". sigh. It did bother me, at times, but deep down I knew it was ok. We were selective about the games played...lots of NBA2K?...Pokemon...Mario...and some war games. balance. common sense. My boys all read early and interact appropriately. So, no major harm done.  They played together, strategized, competed, discussed, and shared.

So when our youth are criticized for their embracement of digital media I am indignant.  I have seen more creativity (and experienced it), more interaction (and experienced it), and more communication (and experienced it) with the increased use of cell phones, laptops, and ipods than I ever imagined.  Our kids have a confidence to express ideas and thoughts.  There are endless places to research, create, and share.  As a mother, the texts, emails, and posts composed by my college-aged son are invaluable.  Little thoughts and ideas are shared.  These ideas and thoughts may have been forgotten if they had had to wait for a phone call.  A comment about a movie...feelings regarding a political candidate...a song I "have to hear".  These are thoughts that fly in and out of our head and are often kept to ourselves.  I'm thankful for the means to share ideas and thoughts.  I'm very proud of the blog Ben has created, Ben's Blog, and the interesting ideas he shares...



Creativity...confidence.  Two words that constantly come to mind when I think about the digital world.  So different than my experience as a youth.  I am grateful that our kids express ideas without an extreme self-conscious reflection.  My peers have asked me, "what is a blog?" and "why do you blog?".  I answer, "I don't really know and because I love it!".  Sounds a little ridiculous.  But I don't hear our youth asking those questions.  They are thinking, "why not blog!"  and "of course you love to blog"!  hmmm.  I am not an expert but I think this is good.

And so I am proud of the sharing, inquiring, and creating that goes on in the lives of our youth.  They impress me.  They amaze me.  They inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment